Desktop sharing is a new feature in Communicator for Mac 2011,
where you can share your desktop with your contacts. I use it so
frequently that it has become one of my favorite features.
My team is distributed across different geographical locations and
we have weekly working sessions where we share and edit files. No
more sending files and going back and forth on email. Desktop
sharing has made life so easy because all it takes is a couple of clicks
to share my screen with my colleagues located in New York or Paris.
Also, these people can be on a PC or a Mac.
When I share my desktop, they see what I see. We can even instant message or get on a voice or video conference during desktop sharing, making this a highly interactive and productive session.
Here are some exciting details of desktop sharing:
1. If a Mac or PC user shares their desktop with you, you can view it.
2. When you share your desktop, the green border is your visual cue. It defines the area that participants can see.
3. When someone shares their PC desktop with you, you can request to control the desktop by clicking the Request Control button in the top bar.
4. You can share your desktop during a conference.
For more information on desktop sharing and the required software you need, check out this help topic.
- Melinda Ma, Software Developer in Test of Microsoft Mac Office team (based in Beijing China)
July 14th, 2011